Monday, September 8, 2014

Blog 5 - Mentorship Reflection

1. Mentorship question: Describe your experience in how you found your mentorship?  If you haven't found one yet, describe your experience so far in the search of a mentor.
I struggled to find a decent mentor for my original topic, biomedical engineering with an emphasis on prosthetics. However, considering my status as the Editor in Chief of Yearbook, I decided to stick with Yearbook as my senior project (or Editorial Publishing). I’ve met my mentor at yearbook workshops in the past, but I accomplished my mentorship at the “Yearbooks at the Beach” 5-day long workshop in Long Beach. My mentor, Rebecca Chai, is the yearbook advisor for Walnut High School. Her publications staff has built a reputation of excellence among the yearbook community. The great part about my mentorship is that Walnut HS is only a few minutes away from iPoly, which saves me a good amount of stress.

2. Research question: What has been your most important article you have read so far and why?
The most important article I’ve read so far is called “Staff Development and Change Process: Cut from the Same Cloth.” It’s by Shirley M. Hord, who has worked extensively with the Southwest Educational Development Laboratory and has written several books on the topics of leadership and staff development. This article is really great because it cites multiple studies on staff developmental methods, and basically contains the sum of other articles I’ve found (backed by the aforementioned studies).

No comments:

Post a Comment