Saturday, August 16, 2014

Summer Mentorship Component

Literal

2. What is the contact name & number of where you volunteered?       
Rebecca Chai
(909) 594-1333, ext. 34251

3. (Need to know) What questions were raised because of the 10 hours of experience?  List them.     
  • What careers can one branch off towards, using skills learned in editorial publishing?
  • How can I best handle difficult staff members?
  • How do I balance being a strict leader and being a fun one?
  • When do I transition the staff from training to working?

Interpretive
4. What is the most important thing you gained from this experience? Why?
The most important thing I gained from my summer mentorship is how to handle leadership. I received advice from my mentor, as well as others who are in the same situation as me. They all showed me how not to abuse my authority, how to handle conflict resolution, and how to build up rapport with my peers, all of which can be taken and applied to my life in the future.

Applied
5. What is your senior project topic going to be?  How did what you did help you choose a topic?  Please explain.
My senior project topic is going to be Editorial Publishing. Since running a yearbook is basically like running a magazine or other print publication, there are many similarities as far as management, design, and content. This topic will be much less stress than what I previously wanted to do (Biomedical Engineering with a focus on Prosthetics), because I’ll be able to complete assignments as I work on the yearbook, since I’m the Editor-in-Chief. It was difficult to find a mentor in the biomedical field, which I wish to pursue as a career, and by choosing a yearbook-related topic I’ll be killing two birds with one stone this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment