Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Fall Design Clinic: A Long Meeting

As a yearbook veteran, I’ve attended three fall design clinics. These workshops are for editors and the more dedicated staffers, and basically give yearbook staffs a chance to show off the progress they’ve made with their respective books. The IPoly books usually fare relatively well at these clinics. 

Setting up before the clinic, with Malorie and J-Wu.

However, the main purpose of the fall design clinics are to receive feedback from industry professionals, such as Paul Ender, Pete LeBlanc, and Mimi Orth (they’re big yearbook people, I don’t expect you to know them). We’ve always gotten great advice on how to improve the spreads and our opening copy, and the same goes for this year. Overall, the gurus (as we call them) loved our "Misfit Right In" theme, and how well the design team tied it into each spread. They also complimented the voice, rhythm, and the fun feel of our opening copy. So all in all it was a productive clinic, and quite possibly the best I've been to. There is much promise in the yearbook staff this year.

Mimi Orth, our Herff Jones representative and savior.


Why the title? This year’s clinic ran from 9 am to 4 pm, and I had been there since 8 am to help set things up and make sure everything was in place. My breakfast of approximately 7 donuts (provided at the workshop) sustained me throughout the day.


I can just feel my teeth rotting away... worth it for the sugar rush


No comments:

Post a Comment